January 3, 2015

Happy New Year!

Happy new year!!

Little House on Brush Prairie got a new look for 2015! I've had so much fun blogging and photographing for Little House over the last 4 years, but I was ready for a change.  I love the chalk board banner and the gray and purple theme. I hope you do, too. I've been doing more reading of blogs than writing on my own as of late. In the past six months I've discovered iphone photography, Elements of Style, A Cup of Jo, Miss Moss, Note to Self, The Daily Connoisseur, Girls, The Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce, and Instagram (you know, that photo sharing thing everyone else seems to have discovered AGES ago...) and they all just steal me away! I'm also addicted to City.Ballet. If you haven't seen this you must. The NY City Ballet makes professional dancing look so easy, but the dancers tell you in this documentary, in no uncertain terms, that it is SO. HARD. But so very beautiful. Not to mention Downton Abbey returns TOMORROW. It seems I've had way to much fun making these little discoveries and it's time to get back to writing and photographing (with a real camera!)

We ended 2014 with a lovely holiday spent just the two of us and we didn't make it to midnight on NYE (shocker!) As promised to myself, I kept Christmas the best I could this year and while I didn't get to everything on my list, I accomplished quite a bit and felt like I was able to enjoy the season, which passed slowly, for once in a great while. Here's a snapshot of our holiday season:

Portland's Christmas Tree downtown

Columbia Dance came to perform The Nutcracker at The Library!


We had a crazy windstorm that knocked the power out! 

My "office" all decked out for the holiday season.

We opened Christmas presents....this one to "Uncle Jep" from Stella. She wrote that tag in her five year old hand. Love that little kid :)

I did read all the Christmas classics: Polar Express, The Night Before Christmas, and The Nutcracker. Next year, I'm making it to The Nutcracker ballet, Peacock Lane, AND the Pittock Mansion! 

Speaking of next year.....it's already here! I don't make resolutions because mostly it's too much pressure and I'm already really good at beating myself up. But, I do usually keep a running list of things I want to DO...you know, just so I don't forget.  On top of my list? More art. I'm a member of the Portland Art Museum and I plan on taking advantage of my membership this year. 

I already went once between Christmas and New Year's....I'm off to a good start :) 

I definitely want to read more books. I know that sounds ridiculous coming from the keyboard of a librarian because of course that's how I spend my days, right? Ha!! NO. I barely have time to read professional publications and the daily newspaper (which really should be a requirement for the librarian!) much less a novel. The good news is I am laying off the self help books this year. I had to get one more in though before I cut myself off. I finished this little book on December 31st. It really was quite charming and I love the blog that goes along with it:


I'm going to practice my violin as much as I can. I am working on Blessed Assurance, but it is So. Hard. Practice makes perfect as they say so I'm going to do my best. 

I also want to get out and explore our part of the world. This is a big year for us...JSM turns 50 and we've got plans to get out and do some things! I can hardly believe it. He was my age when we met! Not only do I feel like I'm married to the world's oldest teenager (which I am thrilled about) but here's proof:

JSM bought me my first pair of Vans. Love them! 

He had to balance out the really beautiful, respectable flats by a certain American designer he bought me for Christmas that are still on back order! (For the record, JSM has always ensured that I have good shoes. On our first Valentine's Day together he bought me a pair of patent leather driving moccasins from Neiman Marcus. I still have those shoes. Good shoes never go out of style.....)

We also plan to spend more time at home this year. Both of our jobs are demanding and my job  and volunteer work keep me out many evenings during the week. I am so grateful that I/we took some time to really enjoy the holidays this year, but I hope to spread that enjoyment throughout 2015 taking some time for fun AND love! 

Our Advent wreath....

I wish you all peace, love, and happiness in 2015!
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment