December 17, 2014

Christmas, Cookies, and Bars....Oh My!


Winter Avalanche Bars

Earlier this month I was invited by my friend K over at Ten Minute Missive to participate in a blog hop cookie exchange. Of course my answer was yes, yes, yes! This year, I promised myself I would keep Christmas and a cookie exchange is just one more way to celebrate the season. I love Christmas. And I love these treats. My recipe isn't a traditional cookie recipe because truthfully, I don't bake cookies. While I love cookies they just never turn out right and there are so many to make. I prefer bars that are rich, dense, and preferably made with any sort of chocolate. Who doesn't love that? I stumbled across this recipe a few years back in a magazine and they have been a tradition in our house ever since. They are a perfect blend of Christmas - a bit of marshmallow, some candy cane, and lots of chocolate! (And look quite beautiful on your kitchen counter, but I promise, they won't last long there!)


WINTER AVALANCHE BARS
Here's what you need:
2 c. sugar
1c. butter, softened
½ c. cocoa powder
½ t. salt
5 eggs, beaten
2 t. vanilla
1 ½  c. flour
1c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
8 candy canes crushed (use a baggie and a rolling pin)
1 bag of small marshmallows
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted

Here's what you do:
1.       Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9 baking dish. Combine the sugar, butter, cocoa, and salt. Stir in eggs and vanilla.
2.       Add flour and stir in 1 c. chocolate chips. This will make a nicely textured batter.
3.       Spread the batter in the pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes. I find 32 minutes is perfect! You don’t want these to get dry.
4.       While the brownies are still hot sprinkle with half of the crushed candy canes, marshmallows, followed by the rest of the candy canes. Drizzle with melted chocolate chips.
5.       Cool completely and slice into 2 dozen. If you wait until the brownies are cold, they will slice like a dream!


Enjoy!
XOXO

Thank you, Kristina, for allowing me to share this recipe! 


No comments:

Post a Comment