January 6, 2015

For the Love of Quilts

It's the 6th of January and I'm already breaking one of my rules.....I'm posting photos taken with my iphone! According to me I'm not supposed to be doing this, but, I'll do anything for love. And there is someone I love very much and she loves quilts. This post is for her.

My library is so very fortunate to have an art gallery on the premises and while it requires that I pound the pavement searching for local artists to display 6 times a year, I love exposing the Battle Ground community to many beautiful forms of art. We've hung oil paintings, water colors, framed art made of vintage watch pieces, photographs, and bookmarks created by local children. And that was just during my first year. We opened 2015 with one of the most creative displays to date: Cover to Cover Book Club. Yes, you read that correctly, we are hosting a book club in our SWIFT Gallery. But this just isn't any book club, this is a crafting book club, more specifically a quilting book club!

A quilting book club is simple: members read the same book and each person makes a quilt inspired by the story. Making a quilt? Not as simple so I admire the skill and patience required to complete a project. Besides, they are so intricately detailed. And these ladies have made and displayed some of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen. I think you'll agree...


Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas (I love that this doesn't "look" like a quilt and the tree trunk is so detailed!)

Glaciers by Alexis Smith

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (The larger than life plants are beautiful and the shades  of green are amazing!)

The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean

Whistling Season by Ivan Doig

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Quilting seems to be an art for women, but his one looks so masculine! Love!)

Dreaming in Color by Kaffe Fassett (This one looks like a painting!)

The quilts are on display at the Battle Ground Community Library through February 28th. For those of you 3,000 miles away (you know who you are!) these quilts are on display here for you, always. 

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment