January 11, 2015

Are You Up For a Challenge?


Not that kind of girl?

Oh, but I am.....I've learned over the years not to set new year's resolutions, but I do like a challenge. In fact, I love nothing more than to compete with myself whether it be with a Fit Bit, a Pomodoro, my calendar, or a stack of books. There's a sense of accomplishment in doing so although I admit sometimes I can't even keep up with myself, especially when it comes to what I read. I work with books - think about them, see them, select them, shelve them, talk about them, read about them, suggest them, and even (when I have time!) read one myself. And I love it. But, always being surrounded by books for me is like a chocoholic working at See's.

Even though I WORK at a library, it's tough living within driving distance of this place.

Everything looks so good and my eyes are always bigger than my stomach...I mean reading list.

That's why I love a reading challenge! A reading challenge removes the usual list I keep for books and authors I want to read. Instead, I see books from a different perspective and look for books that aren't new, on the bestseller list, or on everyone else's list for that matter. I might consider a book published the year I was born. I'm going to give away my age, but one of my favorites to this day is The Great Santini. Perhaps I'll read a book set on another continent. I've never read a book by Isabel Allende and that's criminal considering I spent almost 10 years living in Miami! Maybe I'll add a book authored by someone who passed away last year. Have you ever read South African author Nadine Gordimer? I think I want to (but then don't really want to) read something out of my comfort zone which is definitely science fiction. Any suggestions? What about a book chosen because of the cover? Yes, it's totally OK to do that! Cover art is captivating for a reason.

This one got my attention recently and I'm saving it for a rainy day. It looks like a painting!

If you need some inspiration to create your own reading challenge, I've curated some  from around the web:

Good Reads is always a good place to start either to peruse the lists or view the 2015 reading challenge.
This one is short and sweet at Modern Mrs. Darcy

I like Pop Sugar's Reading Challenge 2015. So many fun options!

Do you have a stack of books you've been meaning to read? Because of course, sometimes is easier to buy more books than to tackle that list! Here's a challenge for you. This one is different because it challenges based on the number of books, not the type of books.

Are you am armchair traveler? If so, this one is for you. Around the World in 2015 with mini challenges, too!

Did you love the show Gilmore Girls? If so, you might already know that Rory read more than 300 books during 7 seasons of that show. Challenge yourself to a just a few of them at The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge. Rory is now married to Pete, that sleazy account exec from Mad Men, but good books never age. I know a few people who might really love this one....

Personally, I'm loving letters at the moment so I'll be looking for books about letters this year: how to write them, classic letters, letters between friends, lovers, famous people! But here are a few authors and titles I want to read this year as part of my own challenge which I hope includes:

Cashelmara by Susan Howatch and A Woman of Substance by Barbara Taylor Bradford (My mother LOVED these two books and I look forward to pulling out my South African copy of Substance this year. I have a thing about hauling really heavy books around the world!)

Crazy Rich by Jerry Oppenheimer. I loved Empty Mansions last year because I can't resist a story about a rich, eccentric person. In this case, it's the entire Johnson (as in Johnson & Johnson) family!

Sebastian Faulks

Barbara Brown Taylor

William Maxwell (MY literary crush! A Folded Leaf is my favorite, but Time Will Darken It is also good. I'm going to re-read one.)

Eudora Welty (She was life-long friends with William Maxwell who was her editor at The New Yorker. So, of course, I'm  going to love her, too!)

I can't wait to start my challenge this year. I keep a list along the side of this blog, so check back if you want to know what I'm reading in 2015. In the meantime, I'll be here reading in silent competition with myself.


XOXO

1 comment:

  1. My Testimony Hello everyone. Am here to testify how I got my loan from Mr. Benjamin Lee after I applied several times from various loan lenders who promised to help but they never gave me the loan. Until a friend of mine introduced me to Mr. Benjamin Lee promised to help me and indeed he did as he promised without any delay.I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until I met Mr. Benjamin Lee, who indeed helped with the loan and changed my belief. I don't know if you are in any way in need of a genuine and urgent loan, Be free to contact Mr. Benjamin Lee via
    WhatsApp : + 1-989-394-3740
    Email: 247officedept@gmail.com.
    { I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST FRIENDS }

    ReplyDelete