January 18, 2015

Thoughts. (Things I think about and things I should think about.)

Mt. Hood from White Salmon, WA

Earlier this week I had an opportunity to visit one of the more rural libraries in our district in White Salmon, WA. White Salmon is located in the gorge across the Columbia River from Hood River, OR. It's a beautiful drive even if a bit white-knuckled in some spots. I traveled on the Oregon side and crossed the Columbia over Button Bridge, which no one warned me, is made of metal grates, as narrow as they come, and a bit too noisy for my comfort. I don't like bridges and I'm terrified of heights. Just as I crossed the bridge, my GPS told me to take a left and then a sharp right on Dock Grade Rd. I didn't even realize what I'd gotten myself into when I was headed up an almost 50 degree grade with no guard rails! As I looked to my right I could see a steep drop-off and in the distance, the sparkling Columbia (it was sunny!). Down and in. Down and in. That mantra, which JSM used to talk me through the switchbacks during a honeymoon hike at Zion National Park, played on a loop in my head as my car hugged the curves. It has gotten me through Bryce Canyon and the black hills of South Dakota, out to the very edge of the north rim of the Grand Canyon at Toroweap, up to the observation deck at the Burj Khalifa, over the pass at Mt. Hood, down an open air drive along the coast of South Africa, and just last week it landed me high above the Columbia River in White Salmon. His words are a tremendous amount of support that I can repeat to myself over and over again. How I love him.



I spent the 2 hour drive listening to a book recommended on one of my favorite blogs, A Cup of Jo. It was a quick decision to pick up Atul Gawande's Being Mortal and possibly a life changing one. I'd seen the book on our Lucky Day shelf at the library and heard it's praises on various blogs and websites, but all I can say is.....WOW. This incredibly important book describes in detail the agonizing decisions one has to make towards the end of life, first as people age and later the choices faced by the terminally ill. The book brought up many ideas including that modern medicine has not only cured many diseases and brought endless comfort to people, but in doing so has prolonged the dying process. Older adults, who used to live their final years at home with their family, are now sent to institutions in some cases, where they "make new friends" and participate in loads of activities. In reality they are forced to live by rigid schedules and spend time with people they don't know who keep them up at night. There are really important questions to ask your loved ones like what do you want, what are your biggest fears and concerns, what goals are important to you, what trade-offs are you willing to make? Hospice is a wonderful support.  

While not an upbeat read for certain, this excellent book won't let me go. End of life is never an easy topic to discuss or even think about, because, of course, that won't ever happen to me, us, you....But it does. It will. To all of us. And just like "down and in" guides me over the highest peaks, talking with and knowing how your loved ones feel about this topic and understanding their wishes can provide a sense of peace in the midst of difficulty, give direction where none is seen and shed a guiding light to the last breath.  I am moved.

Grateful for another day even if it rained....Off the back patio of Little House on Brush Prairie. I love the contrast of the bare trees against the gray sky with the evergreens. 

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment