September 21, 2014

Fall Refresh

September is my favorite month of the year. Not because I love football (Sadly, I don't.) Not because fall is my favorite season (It definitely is.) Not because I can bake after spending a hot summer out of the kitchen (I can't wait!) It's because much like the first of the year, September is a time to refresh and renew: pull out warmer clothes, start a new school year, harvest apples, turn a fresh page in that notebook, turn over a new leaf, and in my case polish those rain boots from last year. I'll need them soon. September is more inviting than January with a crispness that lures you outdoors for a final time before the winter sets in. It's a do-over for your soul, too, with apple cinnamon bread, spiced lattes, and pumpkin black bean soup. And also for a room in your home if you are so inclined. (I was.)  This room has been our den for four years:

I decided to snap a before photo at the last minute, but the walls were already bare and the spin bike was in the way. You get the idea. It was time.

When JSM and I first met he confided in me that his favorite color was orange. I've always loved the shade of blue in all her infinite varieties, but at that moment I swore I'd never decorate my house in orange and blue. Who would do that? (I may not like football, but I do have my allegiances!) Then, we moved to the pacific northwest, in the dead of winter, when the trees were naked and I was chilled to the bone. I wanted my house to exude warmth (literally and figuratively) and I quickly caved. I liked the warmth of orange, rust, and apricot cooled with a shade of gray, blue, or muted teal. First it started in a painting we purchased at an antiques dealer in Portland....

It's the Golden Gate Bridge!

It moved south and invaded our living room in the form of our fireplace. While not a traditional orange, the wood on our fireplace facade is definitely, let's say, warm. I love it!

The reclaimed Douglas Fir fireplace

Then I received an orange Le Creuset pot (from guess who?) and before I knew it our kitchen had pops of an atomic sort of orange. A beautiful cashmere throw arrived our first Christmas at Little House on Brush Prairie from Nanny Annie and soon enough the master bedroom was bathed in stormy walls with accents of apricot.

Said pot with vintage fruit and vegetable advertisements (based on books!)

The master

A few of my books (ha!)

So, I'm sure it comes as no surprise we ended up with an orange room, but the back room overlooks a wooded forest and it's dark. Four years later a re-do was in order. Thank God for Septembers! Maybe that's why I'm so drawn to orange: September, fall, pumpkin, those are a few of my favorite things. And so is this new room...I just couldn't stay away from the cement gray with accents of cream, yellow, and orange. 

And a few of our photos from South Africa finally have a home in our house.


Now, I have a place to practice violin, enjoy a pile of glossy magazines with a pumpkin spice latte and listen to tunes while Jeff enjoys his fall football on the big screen in the living room. Overflow guests have a place to stay and JSM can play guitar with the amp plugged in! I look forward to spending a rainy afternoon in this sanctuary and emerging refreshed.

XOXO

2 comments:

  1. I love fall too...it gives me energy..but I find I get a bit sad by late October as more and more trees are bare and I realize what is to come! I just wish it would last more than about two months! Oh and football - no interest here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica, we are so lucky to have a change of season even if it gets a bit depressing. One drawback to the NW is that our cold rainy season can last until summer with little sun between Halloween and July 4th (depending on the year!) By May, I'm desperate for sunshine and warmth! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who dislikes football. I just never understood any part of that game. Poor JSM tries to explain it to me every year.....haha!! Hope you and your boys are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete