August 14, 2014

Sister, Mother, Daughter, Godmother


Sister was here! We'd been planning this trip for months. I took a week away from the library and sister brought Stella to the Pac NW to visit. They were here 3 years ago and my how things are different when one of your guests was 18 months last time she visited and now she is 4. This trip was wonderful and full of princesses, old friends, The Little Mermaid, My Little Pony, a real tea party, toy reviews, the Space Needle, train rides, American Girl, endless chatter that just melted my heart, and lots of I love you's! Stella Mae is one of the sweetest little girls I've ever met and I don't say that just because we're related. She's a precious girl who's kind and thoughtful even when she's telling you you're not a very good singer, a bad croquet player, or that she doesn't like your ice cream. I love how she looks up at you with her big brown eyes and after a moment of hesitation and a glance in her mother's direction, she shakes her brown wavy hair, "no". I love her distinct little mouth and the cross bite that results in the sweetest smile I've ever laid eyes on. Adult words and her own opinions roll off her tongue and she has the most fabulous eyebrows. Her aunties are all jealous.



I also love watching sister be a mother. Of course, I see our own mother in her, but I can't place exactly what it is. She has her own way about her. It's not how she walks hand-in-hand with Stella down the sidewalk, or the laugh she conjures from Stella with the slightest squeeze or the way she gracefully exits once little girl has had enough. Okay, maybe her "we're leaving now" is more straightforward than graceful, but she's sure of herself and Stella listens. She's confident. She's playful. And while being a mother isn't easy I can tell she enjoys it and makes the best of whatever difficult situation comes her way. Which for the record, difficult situations do happen, but they are quickly shooed away by Emily's consistency and Stella's sweet understanding which always appears as soon as she's made herself heard. They are a team, those two, in exciting new adventures, teachable moments, and tender alone time. I loved seeing them curl up in bed together at the end of another exhausting day.

The view from below the Space Needle at sunset. Spectacular color!







Somebody talked auntie Kimmy into Pop Rocks - haha!

Giggles!


She's "the best" croquet player even though she is exempt from the wickets.

Watercolors on a sunny afternoon....

the light was magnificent.

View from Mt. Hood

New friends!

First visit to Chuck E Cheese. Look at all those tickets!! 

She loved skee-ball. It runs in the family :)

Quiet time in the morning.



So brave on top of the Space Needle!



At Pike Place Market!




Tea at The Fairmont Hotel

Like a princess....

Our dear friend, KS, who joined us for tea, in her now-hometown of Seattle. We love her!

Place setting at The Georgian


So luxurious!




And, boy, was our whirlwind week exhausting, but in a fantastic sort of way. We got to stay at a fabulous hotel in Seattle, go to a real tea party, swim in the pool, drive down the state of Washington, tour Portland, shop at Powells Books, visit friends, drive up to Mount Hood, eat ice cream, go to Chuck E Cheese, play My Little Pony Memory, go to the library, read books, build Legos, paint with water colors, buy a puppy purse (I couldn't say no!), try on (lots!) of new clothes, enjoy the great outdoors, pick flowers from Uncle Jep's garden, hula hoop, play croquet, and wind down with The (original) Parent Trap. Whew!! We were busy, but it was worth every moment.

Stella and sisters brought me these beautiful gold Alex & Ani bracelets to add to my collection. 

I may not be a mother myself, but this visit and Stella's gift reminded me that I am a godmother. I get to wear it on my wrist and in my heart every day. I may not be much in the way of fairy (Except for maybe that puppy purse! She claimed she'd always wanted one and that's all it took!) but I love my godchild as if she were my very own.  And if I am ever blessed to have a daughter myself, I hope she is as close to Stella as she could possibly be. Although miles separate us and we don't get to visit as often as we'd like I treasure the times I get to be sister, godmother, auntie, and friend. Emily, Stella, and I are each a sister, mother, daughter, niece or godmother, and we are all so very lucky to have one another in our lives. I love you, sister & Stella! Come back soon. Until we see each other again.....

XOXO

2 comments:

  1. So sweet! It reminds us that one can "mother" in many, many ways to many different children both related and unrelated. A child can always use another person to mother her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erica! I love that! So very true....a child can never have enough love in his or her life.

    ReplyDelete