October 23, 2010

It's official - it's fall! The week started out with the most beautiful fall weather I've ever seen - blue skies, crisp temperatures, and a few fall colors here and there. All week I wondered, "Is this it? Will tomorrow be the day the rain sets in?" On Monday, a woman in line in front of me at Fred Meyer said Thursday would be the day. The weather man said Friday was it for sure. Well, folks, it turns out Saturday was the day! And when the rain starts, fall is here! We celebrated this "first" day of fall by going to the Roloff Farm (of TLC's Little People Big World) in Hillsboro, OR, and picking out some pumpkins. It was a little wet and chilly, but we had fun participating in this fall ritual for the first time.

Mama Roloff made an appearance and I went home with a jar of pumpkin butter because I LOVE pumpkin! Pumpkin bread, pumpkin curry, pumpkin black bean soup, pumpkin milkshakes and just about anything else made with pumpkin. We don't love to carve pumpkins, so hopefully, I will be able to use the pulp for something tasty when I turn the pumpkins into planters for Halloween.

On a separate note, we had our first gardening success this week! Jeff started our composting  bin. It's a good thing since the house didn't come with a garbage disposal. Not sure how that happened after watching so many episodes of House Hunters, but the good news is this lack of a garbage disposal will encourage us to compost much of our waste. It's full and already feels warm inside so we are off to a good start. Maybe we will be able to grow our own pumpkins next year!               

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun! I should be making a trip in the next couple weeks! This is my last week of doing the group at my internship and then I will be free for real! Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete