February 1, 2015

February Dreaming....


Around these parts February is the dead of winter: dreary, wet, cold, and gray. It's 39 degrees and chilling to the bone today! I'm so glad it's our anniversary month because it gives us something to look forward to and celebrate. At least my heart is warmed even if my hands are freezing. I don't mind the gray and the cold, but it certainly does get me thinking about vacation! This time of year many Portlanders (hell even other people I know on the east coast!) are off to Hawaii, Mexico or other sunny locales. We're just PLANNING where we want to go, but there is one sure bet: This year we're revisiting the place where we married 8 years ago to celebrate the wedding of sister 3 who is also getting married at Club Continental in September.

Sister 3 and future brother-in-law. So happy for them!


Club Continental is a beautiful resort (of sorts) on the St. John's River in Orange Park, Florida. Originally, the winter home of the founder of Palmolive Soap Company who escaped harsh Wisconsin winter in Orange Park, the property became a private club in 1966. It is no longer private and makes for a beautiful wedding location. I was captivated by it's mossy beauty of course (Spanish moss, different from NW moss, but I love it all!) and the fact that it had a fireplace. I wanted a winter wedding and in Florida you take what you can get so we married on an overcast, cool February morning with the hour going up of course, for good luck! I think sister loves that it is so elegant, beautiful, and located on the water. I look forward to creating more new family memories at this lovely locale. I'm hoping for no family fights at this Cranston wedding (ha!) and beautiful weather! 

from Club Continental

Us.

from Club Continental


If all goes well, we'll get more sunshine later in the year: We've got a wedding on the Jersey Shore which will be a first for me. I've only watched Jersey Shore on TV (once!) so I'm hoping for a more.....refined experience. JSM is headed to Chicago for his 50th (!) to see the remaining members of the Grateful Dead this summer. We also have our sites set on another visit to Africa... Not sure yet exactly where we're going, but it will definitely be during the South African summer. Life can be lots of fun if you learn to let go of what you thought it would be and let it be what it is. So, with that I'm open to some adventure and lots of experience. I'm hoping for some South Africa with a little Botswana, Zambia, or Zanzibar, but we'll see where the planning takes us. Half the fun is deciding where to go and what to do. AND it's always more fun with friends. We're looking forward to traveling with KWK and APK and seeing CWDB and NV.  In the meantime, we'll be daydreaming of exotic locations, Florida weather, crazy adventures, family, friends, and a warm day hopefully, soon to come. And I'll be working on fitting into that strapless bridesmaid dress....

1 comment: