November 30, 2014

November

Brrr.....late fall is here, but it feels like winter this morning. 23 degrees outside on this Nov. 30th!

Well, that month just flew by...... life seems that way these days. With jobs, volunteer opportunities, work events, and the occasional social commitment, time at home seems like a figment of my imagination! I'm staring down not a single day off in the next 2 weeks with a library open house on Saturday and a Children's Christmas party on Sunday. Good thing I'm coming off a 4 day holiday weekend. I am more grateful than ever that my work and volunteer commitments are fulfilling. In fact, I don't know who I would be without those things in my life. I'm lucky because my work allows me to serve my community, be involved, and of course talk books (not necessarily read them - haha - who has time?) But lately I've been thinking a lot about what fills my cup outside of my work. I don't have an answer to that question just yet, but I do know that sometimes in the midst of my happy chaos I wonder what it would be like to just be.....

On a recent work trip up the Gorge this month, I listened to Ann Voskamp's A Thousand Gifts and I found myself wanting to be home, baking bread, and watching the golden leaves fall to the ground. Time is SUCH a gift. Knowing that was a complete unreality, I decided I would do something to slow down. Anyone who knows me understands that I am always going a hundred miles an hour, have a lot on my mind, and can't sit still. So, this is challenging. I need something to focus on! This year, I've decided to keep Christmas. I don't even know what that means exactly. All I know is I don't want it to slip through my fingers as it does just about every year. In the mad rush to buy gifts, mail Christmas cards, decorate the house, and bake I barely remember what it's all for. I hope this year will be different.

Here's how I spent some time during the month of November:

I drove to Goldenale, WA to do a training for the staff there. This library, which is part of the same library system that I work for, serves a rural population in Klickitat County, about 150 miles from Vancouver, WA. It is an original Carnegie library.

This is Washington, too! The landscape vastly changes around Hood River, OR, where it becomes more like eastern Washington, almost desert-like in appearance with wind turbines lining the hills. 

The Maryhill Museum of Art, Goldendale, WA. 

The newest addition to the museum....beautiful!

The museum has an eclectic collection including these Russian icons.

The view from the addition...




There were many vintage chess sets...

Even a Rodin!


Winter is on its way....

I photographed a friend's daughter for her senior photos. This was my first time photographing a person and I had SO. MUCH. FUN. I really do love taking pictures. We used our neighborhood as the backdrop and the leaves were in full fall! The light was perfect and my subject beautiful. These turned out amazing! 





JSM and I attended a benefit dinner for the FVRL District (Fort Vancouver Regional Library District) where Diana Gabaldon, author of the ever-popular Outlander series, was the featured author/speaker. She is kind, funny, and not afraid to talk sex in front of a crowd of people!

with Diana Gabaldon

Little Stella's photo made the FVRL presentation loop!

I have been baking and cooking like crazy....must be my desire to be home. Here, a vegetable soup. 

We celebrated our dear friend APK's birthday at Zupan's wine cellar in NW Portland. Who knew it was even there?
Mmmm...croquetas

Happy birthday, APK!




I adore these two lovely ladies!

We had not one, but two fabulous Thanksgiving dinners. We are so very blessed to count friends as family here in the NW....
Yes, we do have much to be thankful for.....Our first Thanksgiving with the Reisings! Loved spending time with that family.

Our second Thanksgiving was at the Kilshaws! KWK makes a beautiful table and delicious food.

My contribution! (Missing - already consumed - was the corn pudding.)

AND I cut off my hair!
I was SO ready! I'm no stranger to short hair, but it's been awhile. JSM has been asking me to cut my hair for years. Can you imagine? True story: when I told JSM I was cutting my hair he said I should cut it as short as possible without looking like Sinead O'Connor. He LOVES short hair and truthfully, so do I. No more slaving over a hot hair dryer and I can wear scarves with abandon. 

Bring on winter and a slower-paced December!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment